When connecting Ursalink gateways/routers to internet via WAN, you need to have an existing switch/router in local network environment to be set as its gateway.
Does the switch/router have internet access?
Connect another device under its subnet (LAN or WiFi) and visit Internet. Check if you can visit Google or watch videos on YouTube, if so, please follow next step.
Is the Ethernet port on switch/router broken or does it have poor contact with the cable?
Use the same cable to connect the device to another port on switch/router. If it still doesn’t work, use the same port to connect the device with another cable.
- For firmware version 184.108.40.206 and above, default WAN static IP is 192.168.23.150. If you reset your device after upgrading to 220.127.116.11 and above, please access via 192.168.23.150. You can change it on “Network>Interface>Port” afterwards.
- For UG85, CONSOLE port is for serial configuration but network connection. If you want to use console terminal via serial port, please contact us for command line interface (CLI) commands.
- For UG87, we provide an extended waterproof Ethernet cable. Double check if it has been tightened properly.
- For UR32/52/55/72/75, you need to plug Ethernet cable into WAN port for the device to be in the switch/router’s subnet. If the Ethernet cable is plugged into LAN, the configuration in “Network>Interface>WAN” won’t take into effect.
Ethernet port LEDs
- If the green LED is on, there is 10/100/1000 Mbps (auto-sensing) traffic. If the orange LED is blinking, data is being transferred. If both are off, refer to switch/router section above.
With the access to Ursalink gateways/routers, let’s start to configure its WAN settings. On “Maintenance>Tools>Ping”, there’s an embedded ping tool to check its accessibility.
If you want to access Ursalink gateway/router via a static IP address, you need to choose “Connection Type” as “Static IP” and assign it manually
Connect your PC under switch/router’s subnet (LAN and WiFi may be different subnets), run “ipconfig” to find out its network segment which usually is the third number. For example, your PC has IPv4 address: 192.168.121.209, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, default gateway: 192.168.121.1. The network segment is 121 so we will assign a vacant position under 121 to the device. Ping 192.168.121.210 to see if you get any reply? If not, let’s give 192.168.121.210 to Ursalink gateway/router as its static WAN IP. Network mask and default gateway can be set the same as your PC’s.
DNS is necessary when visiting domain name
We provide “Use Peer DNS” option to obtain peer DNS automatically during PPP dialling, but sometimes you will need to set the primary and secondary DNS. In that case, please double check if some universal DNS servers are accessible in local network by pinging it on PC.
It is recommended and set as default to enable NAT for most use
When enabled, a private IP can be translated to a public IP otherwise further network service outside of switch/router cannot be used.
On “Network>Link Failover>WAN Failover”, set GE0 as “Main Interface” to use WAN first when connecting to network
How to Achieve Always-on Capability of Network? Check out this article!